Sunday, February 18, 2007

Signing in the Rain

No, you're not reading that wrong...I meant signing, not singing, although there was a bit of singing to be heard. Picture this...my first booksigning for a great local bookstore, where everyone had been following my writing and were so supportive before they even had a book in their story. I so wanted this to be a great signing for them. Now, the night before, there was windstorm here in Erie, PA. A big one. Okay, so now you've got the set-up for my first signing for my first Harlequin, I Waxed My Legs for This?

I arrived at the bookstore, so excited to be doing a local signing for people who'd already been so great to me and I found...bags covering all the racks. Buckets sprinkled liberally about the store. And out in the hall, an entire section of the mall was fenced off because it was raining inside. And just to make things more interesting, every now and then one of the ceiling tiles finally became so water-logged it fell. Splat. It seems an awning had been blown off the back of the mall and across the roof.

So there I was, my table set in a fairly dry area in the archway. Unfortunately, the rain began creeping toward my table. I scooted it (and the people who'd been kind enough to come out) over until I ran out of room. Then, I simply began scooting my books over, until I was out of room. I warned everyone over to the one dry spot left...thankfully, all the readers were as nice as the people who worked at the store!

Now, before you think this was a bust...let me confess, it was one of the best times I had. I kept singing, "I'm signing in the rain," and as the tiles in the hall fell, I'd say something like, "All my signings are a blast...or bang as the case may be!" LOL Nothing could have made the day more fun...well, nothing except an umbrella maybe!

If you're ever in Erie, PA, visit the Borders Express inside the Millcreek Mall and tell them I said hi! You should be okay without an umbrella. They haven't had an indoor rainstorm since that first signing. LOL

Holly

No comments: